Quantcast
my accountshopping bag
fashion trends

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Style Journal: Sam Edelman’s Vancouver Bootie

Making the Military Trend Your Own

—April Francis of The Haute Closet

I am not one to shy away from super high heels. Brian Atwood’s original six-inch Maniacs are one of my basics. Given my penchant for high heels, I get more than my fair share of “How do you wear those?!” I always smile because I adore wearing heels.

I took the Vancouver by Sam Edelman out for a test run to see how they could amp up my wardrobe’s military flair one sunny, 80-degree Sunday. In the first look, I went with a gorgeous pair of Japanese-made L.G.B. camouflage leggings from Ikram. Awesomely, these didn’t break the bank and since I’ve worn them over and over again this season, their cost per wear (CPW) is at about $3 (and we’ve got months to go). Add in this season’s de rigueur super flirty circle skirt (ours by A.L.C.), an army green Alexander Wang tank and a super cozy cape from Hejfina. Covering just about every of-the-moment trend in one outfit without looking like a victim gives you a good look for going to a movie, drinks or dinner with girlfriends.

Quartermastering the Look: Ladies Night Out with Vancouver

Cadet Prep: Date Night with Vancouver
The second look brought out our inner West Point prep. When you’re going military, the easiest way to femme it up is by adding flirty colors. We got ours courtesy of Antipast knee socks from Robin Richman, a silk blouse from L’Agence and a sweet pink Chanel bag. I’m sure you’ve got most of these pieces in your closet so call up your favorite shorts, grab your boyfriend blazer, add some fun hosiery, rock these boots and boom—a fun, multi-textured look for fall. We would definitely wear this look on a date.

For the last wardrobe change I went for a comfy, everyday look. Pairing T by Alexander Wang sweatpants with a military-inspired chevron sweater by Marc by Marc Jacobs, I could work in this look all day and be happy about it. (Did I mention how comfortable these boots are?) And the bag, a little vintage beauty picked up from LuLu’s at the Belle Kay, is a force to be reckoned with. 

Reveille Revelry: Breakfast at Lori's with Vancouver

Verdict: these puppies are gorgeous in their neutral grey-green suede, grabbing tons of looks and compliments. Not to mention they are fantastically comfortable: I wore them for a full day of driving (stick-shift VW), Haute Closet-ing and city walking—all without the slightest bit of discomfort. These shoes rule.

The trick to super high heels is the height of the platform and how strapped in the tops of your feet are. The platform on these puppies is about two inches (making the stiletto that much shorter) with a great-for-winter-slush rubber tread sole. And not only can you tighten the laces for a snug fit, you can slip out quickly with Edelman’s super heavy-duty zipper on the inside of each foot. Translation: feels like heaven, makes you a blissful six inches taller.

The other half of the trick: you have a lot of clothes in your closet. I didn’t buy any of these pieces for the shoot. I just added the shoes and built looks around them with what I already had. When you add any new piece to your wardrobe, it’s worthwhile to play in your closet and try out new combinations.

Lastly, smart shoppers, at $212, these boots are a bargain and just as beautiful as the Chloe, Elizabeth and James and Rag & Bone versions that are out on all the shelves right now, for half the price.

Work the Sam Edelman Vancouver into your own wardrobe so that you are on top of the military trend but interpret that trend according to your own style.

P.S.: Notice that I’m wearing the same belt with each outfit? It’s amazing how a new accessory like these boots can breathe fresh life into things that have been languishing in your closet, unloved, for months. Also, I usually wear an 8.5; I sized down to an 8 in these, and still have plenty of room for cozy winter socks!

No comments:

For larger sizes, visit Barefoot Tess Barefoot Tess for larger sizes.